!שלום ¡Bienvenidos! Welcome!
CHESMA, A.C. ("Comunidad Hebrea En San Miguel de Allende, Asociación Civil") is an inter-/non-denominational Jewish community in San Miguel de Allende, in the state of Guanajuato, Mexico. We have about 170 members, many ex-pat Jews from the US or Canada, and also a growing number of Mexicans, many of whom have formally converted/returned to Judaism.
CHESMA, AC is an umbrella organization whose mission is to provide for the religious/spiritual, social, intellectual, charitable, and cultural needs of the Jewish community of SMA and its friends. We meet at the recently purchased and renovated Jewish Cultural and Community Center of SMA, (the "JC3"), Calle de las Moras #45-47 (corner of Cinco de Mayo), in Col. Allende.
Tel: (415) 185 91 91
In addition to our great lectures, films, holiday parties and social gatherings, we are pleased to announce several separate, lay-led spiritual options, including:
- the Traditional/Egalitarian Kehilla Shalom San Miguel de Allende, affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which provides a Hebrew-dominant service every Shabbat morning and on holidays, and the fourth Friday night of each month;
- a new musical Shabbat sing-along, usually on the first Friday night;
- a new Meditative service, usually on the second Friday night;
- a new Reform Kabbalat Shabbat service, which usually meets the third Friday of each month.
- a new egalitarian Morning Minyan, meeting at 7:30am each Monday and Thursday.
Our motto, "One community, many paths", reflects our diversity—in language, culture, and levels of observance. We invite each member to express his or her sense of being Jewish, be it secularly, religiously, culturally, intellectually, or artistically--join with us!
CHESMA, AC is proud to be an associate member of the Comité Central de la Comunidad Judía de México, (we are officially recognized as being part of the Mexican Jewish yishuv).
Kehilla Shalom SMA is a member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, as well as a founding member of Masortí México. Rabbi Juan Mejia Restrepo, of Oklahoma City, OK, is the Honorary Rabbi of KSSMA.