Why should you become a member?
- First of all, because we have a lot to offer you: automatic membership in the new Jewish Cultural and Community Center (JC3); quality cultural programming including films, literary programs, art and dance, etc.; life-cycle events; new and exciting classes and other adult ed learning opportunities; Bar/Bat Mitzvah training.
- A variety of spiritual/religious services and Havurot, including weekly Conservative Sabbath services and a monthly Contemplative Havurah; weekly Torah discussion groups, both English and Spanish-language; community Passover seders, Purim and Hanukkah parties, and other events.
- In addition to the warm and fuzzy feeling you'll get knowing that you are supporting your local Jewish community, membership does have its privileges: 15-20% membership discounts on events, community dinners, etc.; most classes, films and many other programs are free for members.
- Because we need your support. We are the only Jewish organization founded specifically with the purpose of caring for the social, cultural and spiritual needs of the Jews of San Miguel de Allende and surrounding communities. As a volunteer not-for-profit, we need not only your donations and membership dues to sustain us, but also your time, input and energy.
- Unlike the mainstream Mexican Jewish communities, we reach out to help the B’nai Anusim--people whose families were forced to convert to Roman Catholicism during the Spanish Inquisition-- and others interested in conversion or return to Judaism. In the past several years we have helped educate, nurtured and facilitated the formal conversion of 36 individuals who wanted to live as Jews in a Jewish community, and we are working hard to completely integrate these “Jews by choice” into our community despite the real-life cultural and language barriers.
- Wouldn't you like to work to help “repair the world”? CHESMA, AC has developed several tzedakah/charity programs, including our "Mexigap" program and the Guardian Angels initiative, among others, as well as working with existing charities in town like S.O.M.E. (So Others May Eat). You may also be interested to know that 10% of our general fund income is earmarked for charity.
Please become a member today and help make us the community you want and deserve!